The XFRACTION℠ Process is the combination of two distinct but correlated steps: Optical Path Diagnostics and professional treatment with a Wavefront Optimized Refraction. The process integrates OPD-Scan III wavefront data with TRS-5100 digital refractions.
- Optical Path Diagnostics describe the characteristics of the physiological optical system, including alignment, providing for objective refractive triage and rapid discernment of the patient’s qualification for a Wavefront Optimized Refraction. A decision tree separates patients requiring minor refinements, or full refractions, to achieve 20/20 vision. It further delineates who will not achieve 20/20 vision- and exactly why not.
- The OPD-Scan III sends a battery of useful diagnostic metrics to the TRS-5100 digital refractor, while establishing the refractive starting point. The TRS completes the exam with either minor refinements (WF patients), or full refractions (AR patients).
- Prescriptions are validated by the nearly simultaneous comparison with other options, including the old RX, objective measurement, or unaided, leading to the best final prescription according to the professional judgment of the doctor.
KNOWLEDGE – Superior data collection and integration for rapid understanding and assessment of patients’ complete optical pathway in a fraction of the time.
SPEED – Reduce exam times (5-7 min), and maximize patient flow (adding 4-6 exams/day), Optical revenue (increases up 15-20%), and overall productivity/ ROI.
IMPACT – Gain enhanced patient understanding, validation of new Rx, superior outcomes, shorter visits, and greater satisfaction…while increasing practice profitability.
The XFRACTION process can be implemented in the traditional lane or at the EPIC refractive workstation.
The XFRACTION Process, with the OPD-Scan III as its crown jewel, is all about diagnostic acumen and clinical outcomes, patient convenience and satisfaction, and practice process efficiency. This technology is impressive, a fact not lost on the patient who has been subjected to traditional refractions during other encounters. The XFRACTION Process changes a practice’s game because of its accuracy, ease of use, and value."
What’s unique about the XFRACTION process is that it quickly provides accurate clinical data in an efficient way that saves time and increases patient flow. Without this efficient technology, I would not have the same amount of time to dedicate to conversing with patients. In this day and age, patients notice new technology in the practice and like the personal focus I can give them.
A few years ago I decided to make a decision with my practice. Before that, my technology for doing refractions was a standard refractor and a retinoscope. So, what I decided to do was bring in the Xfraction process. The lensmeter, OPD Scan, the TRS 5100 series and we did the whole process so we can have that patient experience. How many times have you had a patient, usually in my practice, a forty to fifty year old male point to the refractor and say "how long have you had this, you have all of this other cool technology, but how long have you had this thing? which probably hasn’t changed since the seventies. So, I have more "wows". I truly believe that the whole process gives me better data. I know more information about that patient’s refractive system before I even do anything. I know who is probably going to be able to see 20/20 and who is not because I get that information from the WaveFront. I truly believe that the TRS-5100 series or that type of process with the digitized refraction is really easier for the patients.
Not only is the XFRACTION process very accurate and comprehensive, but it also incorporates pupillometry. We now understand the intimate relationship between the size of the pupil and the patient’s vision, and with XFRACTION, we have a more complete picture by controlling pupil size for both higher- and lower-order values.
This system has increased our office’s overall efficiency. The patient experience has been greatly improved, and that’s one reason why I like XFRACTION. People have choices when it comes to their eye care. The XFRACTION process helps set us apart by showing patients how precisely we can measure their prescriptions.
I have used various autorefractors in my career, many have provided a good starting point for subjective refraction. However, with the OPD-Scan III and TRS-5100, I now have the accuracy of wave front guided refractive data to quickly and precisely generate the best refractive endpoints and visual satisfaction. Compared to traditional refraction, Wavefront Optimized Refraction what Marco calls the ‘XFRACTION’ process represents a new age in digital refractions.
With the XFRACTION system’s speed and accuracy, I was able to grow the practice in the space that I had. I now have 2,100 square feet and three lanes. At first, I thought I needed just the one system, but after only a month in the new office, I realized I needed all three lanes running with the same process. It’s been a tremendous benefit to the practice.
Although I work hard, Marco played an integral role of my success. What I found is that the total XFRACTION package shortened my exam time by an average of 5 minutes. Instead of 25 minute complete exams, they are now around 20 minutes. I increased my exam fee slightly and I have my staff do the OPD pre-testing because it is so easy, fast, and accurate. The information is transferred into the TRS and there is such a flow and rhythm to refracting now - even the patients like it. Because of this streamlined system, I was able to increase to 500 eye exams in one year. Even if you just started with the basic automated chart and digital refractor, it would pay for itself in 6 months.
I like the accuracy and comprehensive nature of the data I receive from the XFRACTION process. When I enter the examination room, the results are on my screen. At a quick glance, I have a feel for what the patient’s optical path looks and what his best corrected vision should be. I can effortlessly and immediately show the patient differences between his habitual correction and today’s refractive result, which allows for an easier justification of the investment in new eyeglasses. Considering the time needed for printing and transcribing the data, I estimate I’m saving 3 to 5 minutes per encounter. That’s significant found time each day.
Patients really like the Xfraction process more than a traditional refraction because it’s over quicker. They are more confident about the results, it’s a different experience, and I am able to incorporate WaveFront information into determining their correct prescription. Also I am able to use the information when designing contact lenses for them whether it’s an off the shelf soft lens or customized gas permeable I design.
The doctors in my practice comfortably delegate all testing to our technicians. With the "Marco Connect" EMR capability, transcription errors are taken out of the equation. We have fewer remakes in our optical that has not only helped to increase our optical revenue, but the OPD-Scan III selects patients that need a second pair of glasses at night. We have the ability to show our patients on the TRS the difference in their old prescription vs. new, and how a night pair of glasses would help them in just seconds.
- New Office Provides Lots of Opportunities to Wow Patients - Sorrenson OD - OPD TRS - 2016
- Multimodal Wavefront Exam and Digital Refraction for Intraocular Lens Selection - Tyson Jackson Solomon MD - OPD - 2013
- Value, Cost, and Technology - Noreika MD - OPD 2015
- Exceptional Technology for Excellent Vision - Noreika MD - OPD - 2014
- Vision Care at a Crossroads - OPD TRS - MD 2013
- Marco Continues to Partner with Optometry - OD - OPD TRS - 2015
- XFRACTION℠ - Wavefront Optimized Refraction - Catania OD - OM 2013
The Integrated Practice - Optometric Management
- Achieving Better Refractions Compilation - OPD TRS - 2016
- Leverage Technology to Achieve Triple Aim - Eiden OD - OPD TRS - 2016
- Integrating Wavefront Refraction into Practices - Warren OD - OPD TRS - 2015
- Redefining Refractions With Optical Path Diagnostics Part 2 - OD - OPD TRS - 2015
- Redefining Refractions With Optical Path Diagnostics Part 1 - OD - OPD TRS - 2014